Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  Bulk delete operation

Posted Jan 13, 2023 01:20
    Hello Team,

I do understand that it is not recommended approach to go with the bulk delete option, as the control to delete should be done from the client in an iteration for each resource using DELETE /resource/{id}. But if given a requirement to bulk delete, what possible design guidelines can be proposed.

------------------------------
    Kartik N Maringanti
    Verizon

• 2.  RE: Bulk delete operation

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 15, 2023 02:38
    Hi Kartik

To some extent it depends on the size of the bulk.
    For "small" numbers (e.g. up to 1000):
    • you might want to design a task resource that takes an array of item IDs in its input and returns a correlated array of statuses in output.
    • You need to consider whether you want "all or nothing" semantics, or rather you are prepared to accept partial failures.
    For "large" numbers (e.g. greater than 1000):
    • you'll probably prefer a job driven by a file or a stream of events
    • the job will need to write statues to an output file or stream
    In either case, consider the following:
    • Managing referential integrity - if you delete an entity you may have "dangling pointers" (references) to a deleted entity so your software needs to be forgiving when trying to resolve such references
    • Different statuses for failures to delete (e.g. entity not found, entity locked by another user, etc.)

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: Bulk delete operation

Posted Jan 17, 2023 01:26
    Thank you @Jonathan Goldberg

Kartik N Maringanti
    Verizon

• 4.  RE: Bulk delete operation

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 03, 2023 04:50

Hi @Jonathan Goldberg,

We have a similar doubt and i was thinking that it could be ok, for a small number of deletes in a single API call, to use the multiple adds pattern described in TMF630 guidelines. It would be ussing the PATCH on the managed entity colletion resource with json-patch body as follows:

PATCH /troubleTicket
    ​Content-type: application/json-patch+json

[
      {
        "op": "remove",
        "path": "/this-is-the-trouble-ticket-id1",
      },
      {
        "path": "/this-is-the-trouble-ticket-id2",
      },
      {
        "path": "/this-is-the-trouble-ticket-idn",
      },
    ]

It is not mentioned for deletes in the guidelines but for multiple adds, however I don't see a clear reason why "op"s should all be "add" and not replaces and removes. JSON Patch allows all the 3 operations to be used in other scenarios.

Regards,

Carlos Prados.

Carlos Prados
    Vodafone Group

• 5.  RE: Bulk delete operation

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 20, 2023 10:26

Carlos - sorry for the delay in relating to this post.

It seems to me that this will be good for PATCHing lists of sub-entities. But it won't work for deletes of multiple top-level (managed) entities.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 6.  RE: Bulk delete operation

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 27, 2023 06:01

Hi Jonathan,

This pattern is being proposed in TMF630 part 1, chapter "6.2. Creating Multiple Resources", ussing it like this:

PATCH /api/troubleTicket
    Content-type: application/json-patch+json

[
    {
      "op": "add",
      "path": "/",
      "value": {
        "id": "42",
        "href": " /troubleTicketManagement/troubleTicket/42",
        "correlationId": "TT53482",
        "description": "Customer complaint over last invoice.",

(... here follows the TroubleTicket value and the same structure for the rest of trouble tickets being created in a single transaction).

Do you know why this should be ok for bulk adding and not for bulk deleting or replacing?

For manegeable amounts of data in payloads, I think it could be better than implementing a custom task resource.

Regards,
    Carlos Prados.

Carlos Prados
    Vodafone Group

• 7.  RE: Bulk delete operation

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 28, 2023 16:04

We actually had an internal email exchange about this in the Open API team. @Florin Tene - the focal for the guidelines - may be able to give more details about the support at collection level.

Jonathan Goldberg

• 8.  RE: Bulk delete operation

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 01, 2023 02:44
    Edited by Carlos Prados Mar 01, 2023 02:45

That's fine. I'm interested in the conclusions of that email exchange, if possibe.

By the way I think the example in chapter 6.2 of the guide, part 1, is wrong, cause they are passing the "id" when they are adding a record.

I think the object should be a TroubleTicket_Create, without the "id" and the "href", cause it doesn't exists in the server jet, and cannot have an "id".

Carlos Prados
    Vodafone Group