Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  Can we use notification event to update product inventory information

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 30, 2023 10:50

Can we use notification event to update product inventory information...for example product attribute value change event for updating the product inventory. I am raising this question because my understanding is notification event can be published post operation which means  product inventory patch operation will result an event of product attribute value change and if my understanding is correct then what term we will use for that event which will be consumed by product inventory SOR to update

------------------------------
    Tarique Akhlaque
    Tata Consultancy Services

• 2.  RE: Can we use notification event to update product inventory information

Posted May 31, 2023 02:13

The notifications are results of operation i.e. first change is applied and after that notification is send. TMF defines only output notifications which external clients might be interested in. The modification of resources is through REST API which your system suppose to expose to meet TMF compatibility criteria. 
    If you want to use event based API for similar operation I think you can. In that case the payloads/names are totally up to you. This should be considered as system internal implementation which exists together with standardised one (TMF).

Sebastian Wawrzyniak
    Sonalake

• 3.  RE: Can we use notification event to update product inventory information

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 06:56

Thanks Sebastian .... Does it mean we do not have any guideline for event based API? 

Tarique Akhlaque

• 4.  RE: Can we use notification event to update product inventory information

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 31, 2023 02:43

The BOS Catalyst (Nice 2019) contributed AP-1340 which describes various issues and methods for keeping Catalogs and Inventories synchronized in a multi-vendor ODA Canvas.

Vance Shipley
    SigScale

• 5.  RE: Can we use notification event to update product inventory information

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 06:45

Thanks for your response....will go through and check if I get anything related to my post over there

Tarique Akhlaque

• 6.  RE: Can we use notification event to update product inventory information

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 07, 2023 12:02

Tarique - Going back to your original question, the Product Inventory itself (as an exemplar for any persistent storage for entities) would updated by a synchronous POST or PATCH operation invocation in the TMF637 API. As you correctly stated, a side-effect of this creation or update will be raising the corresponding events.

So now you need to consider - who is updating the inventory and why. The ODA use cases for commerce (UC003 and UC004) show examples of the order capture and then management making updates to the inventory during order processing. It's extremely unlikely that you would expose inventory updates to an external consumer.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.