TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  Cloud-based vs Cloud-ready / Cloud-enabled Online Charging System

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 31, 2018 09:29
    Dear community members,

This is my very first post, hi, my name is Andy living in Seoul!
    Just a simple question while looking into the trend of online charging systems.
    Seems like Telefonica U.K. & Germany have adopted NetCracker's cloud-based OCS last year (see the article:  Unveils Industry's First Cloud-Based Online Charging System),
    which is said to be the industry's first CLOUD-BASED OCS.

I do understand conceptual difference between '-based' and '-ready' words for words, yet, what are the practical differences between them?

------------------------------
    Woojin Kim
    Deloitte

• 2.  RE: Cloud-based vs Cloud-ready / Cloud-enabled Online Charging System

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 01, 2018 05:00
    The "cloud" distinction starts with having a software only, hardware agnostic, solution. A vendor who has ported their legacy appliance solution by shipping an image to run in virtual machine(s) could say they are "cloud ready". The statement "cloud based" could be interpreted to mean the same as "cloud native" (my preference) which says that the solution was designed for the cloud. Whereas the ported legacy appliance's architecture is mapped to the cloud environment a cloud native solution will leverage the advantages of the cloud in it's design. For example an appliance may have an active/standby redundancy model, or even n+k (multiple active, multiple standby), however a cloud native solution will provide elastic capacity by instantiating nodes as and when required. A truly cloud native solution doesn't reinvent services available at other layers in the cloud, it build upon existing cloud services (e.g. object storage, database, messaging, telemetry, load balancing, etc.).

Vance Shipley
    SigScale Global Inc.

• 3.  RE: Cloud-based vs Cloud-ready / Cloud-enabled Online Charging System

Posted Feb 02, 2018 09:57
    What is your opinion on defining these terms in the context of "containers"?
    In the context of containers, I have seen "cloud-ready" used in similar or same manner as you described to reference a VM, or a container meant to be running on a VM. This is still hardware agnostic, but may be VM setup specific for networking & disk space.

For "cloud-native", I have seen this to mean that the application was designed to take advantage of a cloud platform  like Google, AWS, Azure, etc. (typically referencing Kubernetes on this platform). This also seems to line up with your description. Would you agree?

Aaron Perez
    Cogeco Peer 1

• 4.  RE: Cloud-based vs Cloud-ready / Cloud-enabled Online Charging System

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 04, 2018 20:29

For "cloud-native", I have seen this to mean that the application was designed to take advantage of a cloud platform  like Google, AWS, Azure, etc. (typically referencing Kubernetes on this platform). This also seems to line up with your description. Would you agree?
    Aaron Perez,  02-02-2018 09:56
    Yes, I would agree.

I once developed an Android mobile application backend in Go on Google App Engine which used Google Cloud Datastore and Google Cloud Messaging. It was a joy to do with a small amount of code because what was written was just the application logic, almost a proof of concept, yet it scaled perfectly. This was the epitome of "cloud native" as it was serverless, storageless and networkless. What it was not was portable, you'd have to completely rewrite it to run on AWS or OpenStack.

You mention Kubernetes which is shaping up to be the container orchestrator of choice, targeting that environment provides good portability across GCE, AWS and OpenStack. I've been happy to see containers being adopted in CSP NFV initiatives, I thought it would take much longer. What I'd like to see is more common services. Private cloud NFV needs something like Google's Cloud Datastore or Amazon DynamoDB but even more so cries out for telemetry, messaging, logging, etc.. Where VNFs leverage common underlying services like those as much as possible we achieve "cloud native" VNFs.

Vance Shipley
    SigScale Global Inc.

• 5.  RE: Cloud-based vs Cloud-ready / Cloud-enabled Online Charging System

Posted Mar 23, 2023 14:19

Compare AWS-lambda, Azure functions and Google Cloud Function

there any material comparing these technologies?

Is there any supported framework for these serverless technologies?

digital crankz
    TO BE VERIFIED