TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  GB922 Product - Composite & Atomic ProductSpecifcations

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 06, 2023 22:07

Hi Experts

I want your opinions on the below , I was reading through GB922 SID model for product and it has this concept of a Product being an instantiation of a Product Oferring Or Product Specfication.

As shown in the class diagram below .

Now ijust to quote a few things from the document .

1. "For example, a composite high-speed internet ProductSpecification may include email and personal web pages atomic ProductSpecifications which are not instantiated as separate offerings but still must be instantiated as Products. This is also necessary if a ProductSpecification not instantiated as a ProductOffering has configurable characteristics or prices associated with one or more characteristics."
    2. "There are typically a number of ProductOfferings associated with a single ProductSpecification, for example to reflect offers to the market for different time periods. In cases where a ProductSpecification's value to the business is solely as a component part of a CompositeProductSpecification, it does not have a ProductOffering associated with it as it is not be sold on its own. Cases where these items are supplied to the Customer separately as 'spares', e.g., under warranty, are covered under Product below."

Now here is the question reading through the document it seems it is possible to have Product Specs which are not related to any offering but exists only as a atomic product specs insode a Composite Spec (which is related to an Offering), however this atomic product spec can still be instantiated as a Product .

If that is case I am hoping once a Atomic Product Spec is instantiated as product and is part of the customer's subscription inventory , it allows MACD operation on that product instance .

A very simple example below , We have a SIP Product offer which is what is sold to the end customer containing a SIP PS(Composite) and a Number Range (Atomic) , the SIP PS is associated to the SIP Product Offer , where as the Number Range PS is not associated to any offer , so when sold the below structure will create twp product instances one for SIP and the other one for the Number Range and will allow MACDs separately on the Number Range instance .

Your inputs on this will help clarify the context on the GB922 Product doc .

Thanks in advance .

#General

------------------------------
    ANKIT MADAN
    Infosys

• 2.  RE: GB922 Product - Composite & Atomic ProductSpecifcations

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 07, 2023 04:17

Have a look at this best Practice Guide based on BT and Orange experiences

IG1233 Product & Service Modelling Best Practices – Conforming to ODA v2.0.0

Dave Milham
    TM Forum, Chief Architect

• 3.  RE: GB922 Product - Composite & Atomic ProductSpecifcations

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 07, 2023 13:14

Hi Ankit

The construct that you refer to, a composite product specification, allows the definition and instantiation of complex product structures within an offering. But this does not imply that you can do MACD orders on a product inside the substructure. In my understanding, an inventory product can be the target of a MACD product order only if it was instantiated from a product offering. Certainly this is true if the order will have commercial impact, which is encapsulate in the product offering and associated prices.

Possibly, in your example, it might make sense to allow a MACD order on the number range, but what, exactly, would such an order do? Expand the range would surely have a pricing impact, no?

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 4.  RE: GB922 Product - Composite & Atomic ProductSpecifcations

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 07, 2023 17:34
    Edited by ANKIT MADAN Mar 07, 2023 17:42

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your response , to extrapolate this further I am potentially looking at use cases where in you might want to define something as product spec but not necesaarily as a product offering as it is not sold independently in the market , the case in point I took here which is a SIP offering with offcourse number ranges .

Now in example I gave the intention is SIP PS will have all voice trunk related features like CLI , Overstamping , NUmber of channels etc whereas number ranges is primarily about the numbers associated with the SIP Trunk , business wants the flexibility to be able to order "n" number of ranges independently from the lifecycle of the Trunk ,which is even when a Trunk product is with a status of in progress I should be able to order number ranges as a MAC action , currently the product defintion is tightly coupled and hence it doesnt allow us to do the same , and thats the reaosn to be able to separate this out into two product specifications .

Now again quoting the GB922 Product guide 

"For example, a composite high-speed internet ProductSpecification may include email and personal web pages atomic ProductSpecifications which are not instantiated as separate offerings but still must be instantiated as Products. This is also necessary if a ProductSpecification not instantiated as a ProductOffering has configurable characteristics or prices associated with one or more characteristics"

This gives me the feeling GB922 allows such a construct(potentially by defining order actions on the PS level) and hence the reason of my query .

Thanks !!

ANKIT MADAN
    Optus

• 5.  RE: GB922 Product - Composite & Atomic ProductSpecifcations

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 08, 2023 04:07

The referenced IG1233 has an Orange email worked exemplar which addresses some of the points you raise .

Dave Milham
    TM Forum, Chief Architect

• 6.  RE: GB922 Product - Composite & Atomic ProductSpecifcations

TM Forum Member
    Posted Mar 08, 2023 21:11

Hi Dave

Thanks for your response I will have a look and probably bother you if I will have further queries .

Ankit Madan
    Optus