Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  Grouping Characteristics

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 20, 2022 05:57
    Hi, in many APIs we use pattern Characteristics-value, is any "standard" way for grouping such characteristic?
    for example some  characteristics related to quality, and some to user-faced properties of productOffer.

------------------------------
    Sergey N Lukin
    Deutsche Telekom (Tel-IT)

• 2.  RE: Grouping Characteristics

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 22, 2022 01:36
    Hi Sergey
    We don't have such a grouping. I'm not sure that I see a need for this in the core standard, but I'm open to discussion.
    You could of course extend the model in your implementation to add this grouping metadata - ideally at the level of characteristic specification.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: Grouping Characteristics

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 23, 2022 06:58
    Edited by Matthieu Hattab May 23, 2022 08:25
    This may sound too simple to be true but is this grouping of characteristics one role of ProductSpecifications?
    A ProductSpecification is a collection of characteristics. you can dedicated each ProductSpecification to any grouping you want. It also helps organize your UI by grouping characteristics in a logical way.

I remember we discussed it in a TMF meeting years ago with an example of a toyota Yaris.
    The car can have a composite productspec (toyotayarisproductspec) made of atomic productspec. Each atomic productspec is dedicated to a car set of customization (colour, engine, interior etc) so you bundle productspecs.

Matthieu

Matthieu Hattab
    Altibox AS

• 4.  RE: Grouping Characteristics

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 23, 2022 09:03
    Thanks Matthieu for your input
    I would be hesitant to create such a linkage. Product specifications presumably describe "real" products that have some existence (and can be instantiated to the inventory).- Grouping characteristics seems to be a more abstract, perhaps nebulous, concept.
    Taking your example of a car - the engine could certainly be modeled with a product spec, it is a separately identifiable component of the car. But other items (color, interior) seem to me to belong to the parent car product spec.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.