TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

Posted Jan 30, 2023 05:37
    Hi,

With reference to TM forum conformance, We have been trying to formulate a strategy where to start with implementation in brown field, without any changes in the existing backend systems. 
     During our research we opted  to start with top-down approach, by bringing the changes on proxy API layer (at Apigee gateway), and ensuring that everything is working with mock data and associated mock attributes. 

• My first question is are we with right approach? if yes then where and how can we run the CTK (Conformance test kit) over API management layer?
    • What elements does CTK verifies? Can we get the CTK verification successful without any changes in the backend systems? Note that backend systems are missing those fields which are mentioned in TM forum API specifications (Prepay balance management).

Thanks in advance for your guidance and clarifications.
    #DigitalTransformationMaturity

------------------------------
    Muhammad Waqas Khan
    Abacus Cambridge

• 2.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 31, 2023 02:19
    Hi Muhammad

The CTK for an Open API is essentially a series of Postman scripts. So after downloading the CTK you can open it and review the scripts yourself to see what is tested.
    Additionally, take a look at the API's conformance profile, a document showing what is the minimum requirement for passing the CTK.

If your underlying backend is missing fields that the CTK exercises, then you will probably have difficulty in passing the tests. So the question is - is there a business imperative for you to pass the tests. If not, then you can certainly layer an Open API implementation over your existing backend but without support for the missing fields, and presumably your consumers are OK with that.
    If you do need the new functionality, you're going to have to write some code and provide a new persistence layer, so that the missing fields can be supported.

Good luck

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

Posted Jan 31, 2023 04:04
    Hi Jonathan, 

Thanks for your kind and detailed feedback. In response to your feedback, what if I try to be working on proxy API layer, and handle the TM forum desired request and response through orchestration/mediation at API management layer. In that case CTK would be giving conformance, whereas I will be handling things through mock data, without any changes in my target backend system. I know that its doable, but will it be acceptable by TM forum review committee, or if there is something being missed by me. 

Thanks in advance for your kind suggestion or advice. 
    Regards,
    Muhammad Waqas Khan

Muhammad Waqas Khan
    Abacus Cambridge

• 4.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 01, 2023 03:47
    Hi
    This is a question for the TM Forum Conformance team, @Alfred Anaya-Dubernard and @Andy Tiller - I hope they can give you some guidance.​​
    My view is that conformance is not a candidate for gaming - you'll give value to your customers/API consumers if you provide conformance and business functionality in your API implementation.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 5.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 02, 2023 05:05

Hi!

This is my first post in the community as TM Forum's Product Management Director. I hope to be able to clarify the situation a little for you, Muhammad.

Thank you Jonathan for jumping in on this subject, and we thank you, Muhammad, for your interest in Open API certification. We would be happy to guide you re. implementation. The Open APIs are built by members for members, therefore it's useful to note that it's our members in the Open API project who have defined the rules for conformance. By those definitions, your approach above, would not be satisfactory for conformance for the following reasons. 

We have defined a conformance profile and a corresponding CTK for each API to test for conformance. We have documented in each conformance profile a set of conditions for achieving conformance for each API, achieving successful test results satisfies our main condition for granting conformance certification provided that the HTML and JSON files generated from the testing process show indeed that all mandatory features have been implemented correctly in the API being tested. However, we also rely on our members being responsible when they run conformance tests for their APIs and formally apply for certification, as we don't audit their API technical environment, but merely rely on the successful execution of the conformance tests which implement all of the mandatory features specified for each API. 

Furthermore, as part of the requirements for certification, we also request for each API, a conformance summary report to be submitted by the member applying for conformance in addition to the successful test results. The summary report includes three sections: 1. What Product or Solution does your API support, 2. Overview of Certified API, and 3. Architectural View. This information at least ensures that the API submitted for certification is linked to a product or solution and that there is a clear architectural view and description of its implementation.

We hope this doesn't deter you from Open API implementation, and we'd be happy to assist moving forward.

Darren Nicholls
    TM Forum

• 6.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

Posted Feb 02, 2023 05:28
    Hi Darren, 

Thanks for your kind feedback and conclusive guide. Primary question that underlies that, Is there any ODA implementation strategy for brown field implementations, if yes what is that? So that I can bring the change following the top down approach in my first phase, without bringing any change in my target backend systems initially. Then in second phase I can move second level and start updating my backend systems gradually. 

Your guidance in this regard would be really helpful. 

Regards,
    Muhammad Waqas Khan

Muhammad Waqas Khan
    Abacus Cambridge

• 7.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 03, 2023 10:44
    Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for clarifying your request. I'm sure there are ways in which we can assist, but it's probably a little complex to share in this forum. If it's ok with you, I'll email you directly and put you in contact with those who'll be able to help. 

Regards,

Darren

Darren Nicholls
    TM Forum

• 8.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

Posted Feb 06, 2023 01:51
    Thanks for your kind feedback, will surely be waiting for your kind feedback and discussions and guidelines. 
    Your suggestions and guidelines means a lot for me to define and correct my way forward.

Always available for discussions. Hope you can see my email ID for direct access?

Regards,
    Muhammad Waqas Khan

Muhammad Waqas Khan
    Abacus Cambridge

• 9.  RE: Guidance required on TM Forum Open API implementation in brown field with impacting the existing backends

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 06, 2023 06:17
    I have your email. I'll make contact shortly.

Regards,

Darren

Darren Nicholls
    TM Forum