Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

Posted Aug 02, 2022 08:58
    Hello Community Members, 

I have a use case where, I need to capture the notification details (say, Code, reason and Message) in serviceOrder Schema. I understand that we have notifications defined in TMF641 where we send the complete service Order details as the notification payload. However, I am dealing with some third party service providers here who send us some notifications and I need to store them and communicate the same to the clients using TMF641 notifications.

So the scenario goes like - 
    1. Client requests a service using TMF641 API 
    2. Service requested to the the third party after the request received from client. 
    3. Response received from the third party and stored in the service Order details. 
    4. Some post processing done at our system level 
    5. TMF641 Notification published to the clients - this should have the complete service Order detail as its payload. And the service Order Payload should contain the notification received from third party. 

Here, in the step 3, which should be the best place to store the notification details in the defined service Order schema. 

Warm Regards, 
    Gaurav Sinha

------------------------------
    Gaurav Sinha
    Infosys

• 2.  RE: How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 02, 2022 15:00
    What are these notifications? Do they have a defined structure? Can you share an example?
    You could create an extension of the TMF641 schema to represent and communicate these notifications, if the published schema is insufficient.
    Hope it helps.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

Posted Aug 04, 2022 07:34

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for sharing your view here

Could you please suggest which object we can enhance here to capture such details. We had two options - milestones and errorMessages. (As first line of thought)

To give an example here, lets consider a scenario where we are providing a Parcel service and our company is called  "Sinha Parcel services(SPS)". The SPS delivery person is finding it difficult to locate the address (or facing some other issues) while delivering the item. She tries to provide some messages (or issue details) via SPS Mobile App. In such cases, we  (as SPS) would like to share this message AS IS to our client (who is supposed to get the parcel)
    ​. 

At the API level, we need to store such information in serviceOrder details. 

Hope this gives a slight view of the situation. Happy to hear more on this. 

Warm Regards, 
    Gaurav 

Gaurav Sinha
    Infosys

• 4.  RE: How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

Posted Aug 03, 2022 05:59
    Hi Gaurav,

You might want to look at IG1228 use case 007 which addresses the delivery of a MEF product, relying on 3rd party service provider products. 

What I do not fully understand is why the customer needs to be aware of raw details involving the supply chain of the service provider it deals with. 

Best regards,

Roland Leners
    alvatross by SATEC

• 5.  RE: How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

Posted Aug 04, 2022 07:37
    Hi Roland, 

Thanks for providing the references. 

Also, please have a look at the example scenario that I have provided in my above response. Hope this helps. Would love to hear further on this from you. 

Best Regards, 
    Gaurav

Gaurav Sinha
    Infosys

• 6.  RE: How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

Posted Aug 05, 2022 05:01
    Hi Gaurav,
    Does you example imply that the service provider uses a 3rd party shipping provider for physical delivery?

Best regards,

Roland Leners
    alvatross by SATEC

• 7.  RE: How to manage multiple notification details in TMF641 ServiceOrder Schema

Posted Aug 05, 2022 11:06
    Hello all,
    I have seen similar scenarios I think and would similarly be interested in what a suitable answer would be. Let me offer an alternative scenario and people can  give their views.

Use Case
    =======
    I am a consumer and I am purchasing a home broadband and TV streaming service from a retailer.
    That retailer purchases their IP Internet Service from a Wholesaler.
    The Wholesaler purchases their DSL access service from a local network operator.

Scenario
    =======
    A field technician needs to visit the customer premises  to connect the DSL service, install the router and demonstrate the home internet service as working. However they arrive to find they have no access as the customer is not at home.

They communicate the same to their field force controller.

Now a new appointment has to be made but it must be arranged via the retailer and not direct with the customer.
    So notifications need to be sent from the DSL provider to the Wholesaler and from the Wholesale to the Retailer who will contact the consumer.

The options are.

1) Information included as a notification in some form of service order event.
    2) A separate API (or APIs) to deal with various forms of "out of band" ad hoc communications to manage jeopardy.

The provider I worked with has an XML based ordering interface that allowed notifications to have a list of codes with severities and messsages informing the customer organisations of completed milestones, additional information requirements and issues/jeopardies that looked something like this.

<utcc:OrderLineMessageInfo>
    <utcc:MessageInfo>
    <utcc:CompletionCode>5744</utcc:CompletionCode>
    <utcc:Code>4AC2</utcc:Code>
    <utcc:Message>No customer access. Please rearrange appointment</utcc:Message>
    <utcc:Severity>Warning</utcc:Severity>
    </utcc:MessageInfo>
    </utcc:OrderLineMessageInfo>

The provider concerned had a published spreadsheet cataloguing hundreds of these  covering various scenarios.
    This was not also required for exceptions but also some retailing providers wanted complete transparency of the order and its progress to be able to converse with their end user customers when they had questions. We would even send notifications when the field force picked up tasks and were on route to the customers premises in order to try and remind people to be at home.

Derrick Evans