TM Forum Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

• 1.  ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

Posted Aug 22, 2023 23:26

Hi folks

A while back, there was a discussion on introducing an ODA component for Service Orchestration and also Resource Orchestration/Provisioning.  I just looked at the latest IG1242 ODA Component Inventory document and there is nothing planned for those specific components as of yet.

Any idea whether these components are still in the pipeline, or have they been replaced by some other ODA-C producers of the TMF640/TMF702 OpenAPIs?

I can see that TAC-280 for introducing these new components is 'In progress' as of Nov/21.

Thanks

#OpenDigitalArchitecture

------------------------------
    Dan d'Albuquerque
    TO BE VERIFIED

• 2.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 23, 2023 05:44

This would be a great place for @Gaetano Biancardi and @Sylvie Demarest to step in and give their vision for ODA components in this area.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 24, 2023 11:32

Hi Dan, we have already specified 2 components involved in delivery orchestration:

TMFC003 - Product Order Delivery Orchestration and Mgt (in charge of the orchestration of the delivery of Product Orders)

TMFC007 - Service Order Management (in charge of the orchestration of the delivery of CFS or Services)

And we are currently working on TMFC011 - Resource Order Management.

Hope you can find there what you are looking for.

Sylvie Demarest
    Orange

• 4.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

Posted Aug 24, 2023 22:03

Hi Sylvie

Thanks for your reply.

TMFC007 appears to address the SOM which exposes the TMF641 Service Ordering Management Open API.  I was wondering which ODA-C will expose the TMF640 Service Activation and Configuration API?  Various documentation suggests that TMF641 may be used for complex, asynchronous, orchestration; whereas TMF640 may be used for near  real-time activations and re-configurations within the network.

TAC-280 indicates the following Open API interactions between SOM/ROM/etc.

Dan d'Albuquerque
    TO BE VERIFIED

• 5.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 25, 2023 05:44

There is also these two alternative  interaction diagram proposal

Production: Components & Interactions - Components and Canvas - TM Forum Confluence

I suspect this is an open issue with ODA C teams

Dave Milham
    TM Forum, Chief Architect

• 6.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 25, 2023 08:09

Yes it is, and we plan to discuss it and publish Resource Order Mgt specification for sprint 5 (end mid october).

Sylvie Demarest
    Orange

• 7.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 28, 2023 01:29

IMHO it would be unfortunate if service/resource orchestration/activation/configuration was conflated with order management. 

Vance Shipley
    SigScale

• 8.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

Posted Aug 27, 2023 22:34

Hi Dave

I am having trouble following the link in your reply.  Any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Dan d'Albuquerque
    Individual

• 9.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 28, 2023 03:54

IMHO, the component(s) that expose TMF640/TMF702 are not service order/resource order management. On the contrary SOM and ROM components would be expected to consume these APIs. An activation/configuration component would be something that talks directly to the software/hardware/firmware of the "network" (switches, NVFs, etc.), exposing 640/702 and mapping these (where necessary) into propriety NEP interfaces.

As a rule, I don't refer to Amdocs offerings in my replies on this forum, but in this particular case, I think it's worth mentioning that we have an offering - Amdocs Service Activation - that does exactly this. I'm sure other vendors in the OSS space have similar offerings, and so from ODA perspective I think it's worth considering this capability as being abstracted as a specific ODA component.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 10.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 28, 2023 18:13

Think this is in the members only area at the moment

Dave Milham

• 11.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

Posted Jan 08, 2024 04:52

Hi Dave

Has any progress been made on this.  I can see more and more references are being made to TAC-280 in the use cases yet the latest IG1242 ODA component inventory makes no reference to these new components (Service/Resource Activation).  Has it been discussed further by the ODA team?

Any update would be great

Happy New Year!

Dan d'Albuquerque
    Individual

• 12.  RE: ODA-C for Service/Resource Orchestration

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 09, 2024 05:59

Dan we are planning to get an ODA production team up and running this month in time for the Accelerate event in Cascais. It will pull together proposals on components in the Production Functional area and that should cover orchestration at service and resources levels  adn where SOM and ROM are handled . Note we are aware of requirements for major planned changes to network resources that practically cannot be done with Service resource orders because of the volume required and the interval within which such changes need to  be carried out. This need a configuration model. All this is being discussed in the NaaS ( Tuesday 19:00 GMT and ODA Production teams (Thursday 09L:00 GMT)

Dave Milham