Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF 641 - Rollback

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 23, 2022 07:15
    Hi Team,

What approach do you use to rollback a service?
    Scenario: The service order was not successfully orchestrated on the network. Some of the resources are operating, one resource failed, some of the resources remained untouched. The discovery service successfully updated the statuses of operating resources. And we need to make a rollback for this service. I didn't find any corresponding attributes in TMF641 that can be used to inform a system to calculate a rollback for the service.

Regards,
    Yurii

------------------------------
    Yurii Yushchak
    System Manager
    Ericsson Inc.

• 2.  RE: TMF 641 - Rollback

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 26, 2022 04:46
    Hi Yurii
    The ODA end-to-end team is putting together various use cases, including UC011 - order fallout, which was published recently here.
    However, I'm not sure if the use case addresses your particular question about how to rollback. I would imagine that it would have to be done case-by-case, with manual involvement. Someone presumably needs to take a look at the financial and operational considerations of rolling back a service order due to failures, maybe you would decide to hold the order and fix the problem rather than rolling back.
    @Ludovic Robert, @Kamal Maghsoudlou your views on this?​​​

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: TMF 641 - Rollback

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 02:49
    Hi Yurii,
    The requestor asking for a rollback due to incomplete resource provisioning by the provider seems to be an odd scenario. Will the requestor have this knowledge of how the service is provisioned at the resource level to determine right or wrong resource provisioning?

If the service order was not successfully orchestrated, the provider will put the order into a failed state (end state) or partial state (end state) and the provider holds the responsibility to roll back the changes. 

If the order is in the held state, then the provider can either roll back and put the order into the cancel state or the requestor can cancel the service order.

If the scenario is about the order showing completed successfully. But if the order is wrongly provisioned, then the requestor provided it has the knowledge about the wrongful provisioning, can raise a disconnect service order.

If you look at all these scenarios, it is more roll forward than roll backward, but I believe all the handles are available.
    Please let me know if I understood the scenario wrongly.

Varun Nair
    Telstra Corporation
    Note: This is an opinion based on my research and not an official TMF response.

• 4.  RE: TMF 641 - Rollback

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 06:08
    Hi Varun,

Thanks for sharing the suggestion. We have a complex solution with different orchestrators, resource and service inventories, a design and assign system, a discovery system, network activation systems. In our case the requestor informs the design and assign system what service it wants to get and then to get a design of service. After that the requestor sends a service order to an appropriate provisioning system. If the service order fails, the requestor wants to have a design for a service rollback. Therefore, we need a way to inform the design and assign system that the service rollback is needed for the original service.

Yurii Yushchak
    System Manager
    Ericsson Inc.

• 5.  RE: TMF 641 - Rollback

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 04:54
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the reference to UC011. I'll work with this, see how we can use this information to handle our case, and bring back any further question, if any.
    You are right about different scenarios and case-by-case decisions. We also have retry use cases.

Yurii Yushchak
    System Manager
    Ericsson Inc.

• 6.  RE: TMF 641 - Rollback

Posted Jun 27, 2022 03:10
    Hi Yurii,

As Jonathan referred to use case 011 in IG1228, let me just provide our current thinking on this:
    - The component in charge of the rollback is the one that has experienced the order fallout. In the use case example, this is the resource order management component.
    - This component will use the same mechanism as for the resource (or service) activation. We will probably re-use our approach of use case 008 and use the resource activation component via TMF702.
    We have only started this work and have not yet validated the above. We plan to release an updated version of this use case at the end of the current Sprint (beginning of August).

Best regards,

Roland Leners
    alvatross by SATEC

• 7.  RE: TMF 641 - Rollback

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 06:16
    Hi Roland,

Thanks for your comments.

Yurii Yushchak