TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 03, 2023 17:09

Hi everyone,

I am a mobile operator with only some documented business processes and no OSS system in place. I am considering implementing an OSS/ODA system, but I need help selecting which one is the best choice for my company.

Our Company IT systems and infrastructure are as follows:

• Customer relationship management (CRM): Huawei
    • Billing systems: NGBSS from Huawei
    • Provisioning systems: most Huawei.
    • Network management systems: Huawei iManager U2000, Huawei iMaster, ZTE CNO2, Nokia NetAct
    • ERP: Oracle
    • Fraud management systems: None
    • Analytics and reporting systems: None

Our business goals are as follows:

• Increase customer satisfaction by 10% in the next year.
    • Reduce customer churn by 5% in the next year.
    • Maintain a market share of 48% and work to increase it.
    • Launch a new 5G network in the next two years and continue nationwide 4G coverage spread.
    • Expand into the enterprise market and increase enterprise revenue by 20% in the next three years.
    • Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
    • Develop new and innovative products and services.
    • Partner with other companies to offer new cloud-based services.

Specifically, I need help with the following:

• What is the best choice for my company, OSS or ODA, for the short and long term?
    • If I consider implementing an OSS system:
      • What are the key requirements for an OSS system?
      • What are the different types of OSS systems available?
      • What are the factors to consider when choosing an OSS vendor?
      • What are some common RFP questions for OSS systems? Can you help me with an OSS RFP template?
    • If I consider implementing an ODA system:
      • Based on our IT systems and infrastructure mentioned above, which of them can integrate with an ODA system?
      • What are the key prerequisite business processes that should be in place and documented?
      • What are the key requirements for an ODA system?
      • What are the different types of ODA systems available?
      • What are the factors to consider when choosing an ODA vendor?
      • What are some common RFP questions for ODA systems? Can you help me with an ODA RFP template?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, 

Abdulwahid AL-Sayadi

#OpenDigitalArchitecture

------------------------------
    Abdulwahid AL-Sayadi
    Yemen Mobile

• 2.  RE: Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 04, 2023 19:47

First, ODA would be the great choice but it is not really mature in terms of implementation, especially in:
    1. platform to deploy ODA components
    2. comprehensive API for ODA components to talk to each other
    3. components commonly available and mature

For 1, the platform must provide environment to allow components to run and get all resources needed. This is very complex if you think about memory, CPU, network, threads, efficiency (such as sharing data among components within same platform on same OS/VM), security/authentication/authorization, etc. It is very complicated.

For 2, TMF open API is great but it is mostly for systems not component level. For example, a SIA (service impact analysis) system needs to get real-time alarm from FM component. So, it would need to register alarm notification with filter specifically to its interest to filter out not interested alarms and then can extend later.

For 3, components to be mature means to be well self-defined, self-contained (no coupling with other components or platform), user configurable of behaviors, versatile to take inputs from data sources, etc.

So, OSS system would be more feasible at this moment (also consider how ODA would eventually head to, look into software industry in general. Component-oriented platform only web application server succeeded. Since then, there is no further advance to be widely accepted). If you go with OSS, I would suggest you to pay attention to followings:
    a. truly multi-vendor and multi-technology support and covers FCP (fault, configuration, performance) as foundational telco data provider
    b. self-aware: discover network and stitch data, event collection, performance counter/KPI collection
    c. analysis/decision: single and cross network domain analysis such as RCA, SIA, BI analysis, decision making, etc.
    d. self-configure/healing: flexible and deterministic flow engine and development tool to develop, deploy, and execution your self-configuration/healing flows
    e. flexibility: user configurable and extensible
    f. system architecture: grow both vertically and horizontally with road to ODA

This is very big topic so above are just something quickly typed based on whatever in my head. Hope it helps.

Fazhong (David) Deng
    OSSEra

• 3.  RE: Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 09, 2023 12:33

many thanks for your helpful reply

Abdulwahid AL-Sayadi
    Yemen Mobile

• 4.  RE: Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 06, 2023 08:25

Your inquiry into the selection between OSS (Operational Support Systems) and ODA (Open Digital Architecture) for your mobile operator company is quite comprehensive and reflects a strategic approach towards enhancing your IT infrastructure and achieving your business goals. Here's a structured response to assist you:

As the CTO of TTG Int. LTD, I acknowledge that our products are compliant with the ODA in certain aspects, while some areas might not be fully aligned due to the complexity and field-testing requirements of the systems. Implementing a vendor-neutral Operations and Support System (OSS) involves several key considerations, with a pivotal focus on selecting an OSS provider that boasts substantial experience in the telecom sector.

1. Importance of Telecom Sector Experience:

• Experienced Personnel: Given the telecom network's complexity, involving multiple manufacturers, technologies, and protocols, it is imperative that the OSS team possesses extensive experience in these areas.
    • Industry Relevance: Emphasizing the significance of being rooted in the telecom sector ensures that the OSS is adept at navigating the unique challenges and intricacies of telecom networks and systems.

2. Interoperability:

• Standards Compliance: Ensuring OSS adheres to industry standards like TM Forum or ITIL, facilitating easy integration with various vendors' solutions.
    • Data Format: The capability to manage diverse data formats and protocols from different vendors is crucial.

3. Unified Interface:

• Single Pane of Glass: A unified interface to seamlessly manage and monitor solutions from various vendors.
    • API Integration: Ensuring the OSS can integrate with various vendors' APIs.

4. Vendor Management:

• Vendor Performance: Monitoring and managing performance and SLAs of various vendors.
    • Contract Management: Systematic management and optimization of contracts, licenses, and subscriptions from different vendors.

5. Security:

• Multi-Vendor Security: Managing and monitoring security aspects across different vendor solutions.
    • Compliance Management: Ensuring adherence to regulatory and compliance standards across various vendor platforms.

6. Automation:

• Workflow Automation: Enhancing operational efficiency through automated routine tasks and workflows.
    • Self-Healing: Implementing mechanisms to automatically resolve issues without manual intervention.

7. Scalability and Flexibility:

• Modular Architecture: Adopting a structure that allows easy addition or removal of components.
    • Cloud-Native: Opting for a cloud-native OSS that can scale as per organizational needs without being tied to a specific vendor's cloud platform.

8. Support and Maintenance:

• Multi-Vendor Support: Providing support for products and solutions from various vendors.
    • Continuous Updates: Regular updates to support new features and technologies introduced by vendors.

9. Cost Management:

• Optimization: Implementing tools for monitoring and controlling expenses across various vendor platforms.
    • Budget Control: Features to track and manage budgets for operations involving multiple vendors.

10. Documentation and Knowledge Sharing:

• Centralized Documentation: Maintaining a centralized repository for documentation related to various vendor products and solutions.
    • Knowledge Base: Developing a knowledge base for storing and sharing information related to managing multi-vendor environments.

11. Training and Skill Development:

• Cross-Training: Ensuring the team can handle solutions from different vendors through cross-training.
    • Certifications: Encouraging certifications that are industry-recognized and not vendor-specific.

Finally: A strategic approach to implementing a vendor-agnostic OSS encompasses interoperability, automation, security, and cost management, ensuring seamless integration, management, and support of solutions from different vendors while providing a unified operational interface. The expertise of the OSS provider, especially in the telecom sector, is pivotal to navigating the multifaceted telecom network systems effectively and efficiently.

Your inquiries are valuable to us, and should you require further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out."

Regards

Mehmet Beyaz
    TTG Uluslararsi LTD

• 5.  RE: Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 09, 2023 13:22

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to address my concerns. We hope to find a success story that is somewhat similar to our company's situation, as this would be beneficial and enhance our deep understanding of the matter. It will assist us in making the final decision to choose the most suitable option for us.

Sincerely,

Abdulwahid AL-Sayadi
    Yemen Mobile

• 6.  RE: Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 09, 2023 13:37
    You are most welcome. As a member of TMF community, it is very important for all of us to share thoughts and experiences so we all learn from each other.

We have deployed an OSS system in Telekom Malaysia and presented the project in DTW Asia last year. If you would like to have more information about the project or our solution, please don't hesitate to email me at david_deng@ossera.com. Thank you

David

• 7.  RE: Request for help in preparing RFP and OSS/ODA selection

TM Forum Member
    Posted Oct 10, 2023 02:03

Hi Abdulwahid,

You well come, and good luck.

Regards

Mehmet Beyaz
    TTG Uluslararsi LTD