Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 17, 2023 10:45

Hi All,

I was looking through the user guide for TMF633 and looking at the content on the Service Catalog resource. Its description illustrates its purpose to link service candidates to a catalog which makes sense but i didn't see in the entity model how the catalog model actually links to the candidate model. For example there is no array of Service Candidates. The JSON example also doesn't show anything to do with any relationship and rather just focuses on the catalog itself and not the related items. Feels like i must be missing something so a quick pointer would be great.

------------------------------
    David Whitfield
    TalkTalk Group

• 2.  RE: Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 18, 2023 03:48

Hi David,

What I interpret in the document is that there should always have a category in the middle. I mean, a specification is made available to a category through a candidate. In turn, the category can be related to several catalogs. So, the relationship between the candidate and the catalog is established through the category.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Abel Ruiz Huerta
    alvatross by SATEC

• 3.  RE: Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 21, 2023 08:48

To be honest, I had suggested in the past that we should simply the service (and resource) model by removing the Candidate entity. However my suggestion was rejected, so the ServiceCandidate and ResourceCandidate entities remain. I think that @Koen Peeters has posted in the community explaining what use cases might justify the existence of the Candidate entities.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 4.  RE: Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 22, 2023 06:01

@Koen Peeters could you drop a link to the thread please?

@Jonathan Goldberg  thanks for your reply.

I guess i wasnt as such questioning the existence of the service candidate it was more that i didnt see what endpoint you can use in the TMF API to bring back a list of service candidates associated with a service catalog. Is the answer that you must...

1. request the catalog to get a list of categories
    2. request the categories based on the list received from 1
    3. request for the candidates based on the list received from 2
    4. request for the specifications based on the list received from 3

So 4 different endpoint calls to get to what i guess is the 'actual' items within the catalog?

Doesnt this relationship of Specification --> Candidate --> Category --> Catalog have its drawbacks? What if i don't want all of the candidates from a specific category within a catalog? Or is there a different way to achieve?

thanks

Dave

David Whitfield
    TalkTalk Group

• 5.  RE: Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 23, 2023 07:11

Hi David
    It's important to be aware that the relationship models in TMF Open API are generally uni-directional. So in the service catalog area this implies that direct retrieval works in the way you describe. But this doesn't stop reverse retrieval by query, so you could do a direct GET of all the service candidates and use Category, or even Catalog, as a filter criterion.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 6.  RE: Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 24, 2023 10:46

thanks @Jonathan Goldberg and @Kinshuk Kulshreshtha for your inputs.

I have read the attached thread and whilst i find that of definite interest (seems that MEF have the right idea of trying to 'well define' a service type which i know that TMF are also looking into now) I think that my question was much more on a basic level around how the current V4 APIs are meant to work.

@Jonathan Goldberg I think that you have answered my question in terms of the query approach from the 'child' entities using the 'parents' as a filter. I guess what i didnt quite follow was the filtering of a collection (i.e. specification) using a catalog as a filter? When I look at the resource model of service specification there is no catalog field (i.e. link entity) to use as the filter attribute within the query on the serviceSpecification endpoint.

I looked in TMF 630 for an example of how to achieve a query of a resource where you are specifying a value of a linked resource with a degree of separation and i couldnt seem to see anything. Do you know of a good tangible example somewhere? 

David Whitfield
    TalkTalk Group

• 7.  RE: Service Catalog --> Service Candidate Link

TM Forum Member
    Posted May 23, 2023 10:05
    Edited by Kinshuk Kulshreshtha May 23, 2023 10:09

Hi David, 

I believe it was on my thread below

https://engage.tmforum.org/discussion/service-offers-in-tmf633-schema#bma7f813e6-ba7f-4b14-b743-018476f964e7

Regards,

Kinshuk Kulshreshtha
    Oracle Corporation

My views posted on this forum are personal, and do not reflect the position of my employer or TM Forum.