Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF 640: Servic create event vs Monitor create event

Posted Dec 09, 2022 10:17
    Hi There,

Could you please guide me to understand the difference between TMF 640 service create event and monitor create event. Under what scenario service create event to be used and under what scenario monitor create event to be used ?

------------------------------
    Suresh Barman
    TO BE VERIFIED

• 2.  RE: TMF 640: Servic create event vs Monitor create event

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 12, 2022 03:08
    Hi Suresh
    The Monitor pattern is a special case of an API that is likely to have asynchronous behavior - currently it is used only in Service and Resource activation (TMF640 and TMF702), since direct communication with network elements is expected to take longer than 10's of milliseconds, and perhaps you wouldn't want a thread blocked waiting for a synchronous answer. So you can use a Monitor to help understand when the POST (or PATCH) operation is complete.
    The Service Create (or attribute change) event is an alternative mechanism for discovering when the operation is complete, using the event hub pattern that is common across all APIs.
    Please note that the Open API team has started to look at adopting AsynchAPI, which could possibly render the Monitor pattern obsolete. See the early adoption page https://projects.tmforum.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=128855518 for an initial example TMF925 Trouble Ticket asynchronous.
    Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: TMF 640: Servic create event vs Monitor create event

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 13, 2022 11:08
    Hi Jonathan, 

Can it be said that if notification is triggered from Network element or other south bound system than it is monitor create event and when the status is requested from Service order management it is Service create event?

Thanks 
    Vivek Jha
    OSS consultant

vivekanand jha
    Netcracker Technology