TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

Posted Dec 06, 2023 10:45

Hello,

We are new to TMF and are trying to digest the whole concept of the ODA.

We are wondering, why for example the `sku` on `PhysicalResourceSpecification` is represented as direct attribute TMF634_ResourceCatalog/TMF634-ResourceCatalog-v4.0.0.swagger.json at master · tmforum-apis/TMF634_ResourceCatalog instead of using the `ResourceSpecificationCharacteristicValue` and the related schema.

Thanks a lot for all the inputs!

#OpenDigitalArchitecture

------------------------------
    Jan Stastny
    CETIN

• 2.  RE: TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 06, 2023 15:08

Hi Jan

Firstly, welcome to TM Forum. Wishing you every success in making the most of TMF assets.

For your specific question, when creating an information model, we need to account for things that are common to all items in a specific class of entity. A physical resource, represents a tangible "thing" (customer equipment, network element, etc.), and the corresponding specification defines those "thing"s in a resource catalog. It is fair to say that physical resources are generally purchased from suppliers, and so the sku (or equivalent) becomes a common attribute to all physical resources.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

Posted Dec 07, 2023 02:22
    Hello Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your prompt response and warm welcome to the forum.

I appreciate your explanation of the essence of physical and logical resources.

With this in mind, if I may, I would like to ask an additional question to better understand the philosophy of the TMF models in general. I will provide a somewhat extreme (in the sense of being very specific) example, just for the sake of illustration. When modeling a "Router" resource in the TMF models, would this be represented by a new entity with `@type=Router` and the possibility to have custom attributes (for instance, `serialNumber`-similar to how the `sku` is present on PhysicalResource), or should the `serialNumber` rather be an attached Characteristic?

Thank you, and have a great day.

Jan Stastny
    CETIN

• 4.  RE: TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

Posted Dec 07, 2023 06:51

Hello Jan,

Please allow me to add additional context to the excellent explanation Jonathan has given. 
    Physical resources (and Logical resources) are modelled using the Resource Spec Entity in the model. These Resource Specs need to have a  Product Spec. In the example you have provided Router is a Resource Spec (Physical) and needs to have a  Product Spec (Internet Service).
    The Make & Model, Serial ID etc are attributes or characteristics of the Router Resource Spec and in the instance purchased by the customer, these values are  filled in during the selling or fulfillment process.

Hope this helps. 

Sri-Jagadish (Jag) Baddukonda
    Bell Canada

• 5.  RE: TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

Posted Dec 07, 2023 11:01

Hello Jag,

thanks a lot for joining this conversation.

Does this mean that for me to be able to instantiate a `Router` (defined by ResourceSpec in TMF 634) into a `Resource` (defined in TMF639), I need `ProductSpec`? Which TMF is this?

And to make it more complicated -- how does the `ResourceCandidate` come into play?

Thanks and have a great day.

Jan Stastny
    CETIN

• 6.  RE: TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

Posted Dec 07, 2023 12:22
    Edited by Sri-Jagadish (Jag) Baddukonda Dec 07, 2023 12:22

If it is is a CPE it need not be instantiated  via 639.

If it is UNI or a CE / PE router, then yes. 

But in the Product model they should  be modelled as an RS with the appropriate relationships to the other entities like PS and RFSS (if necessary).

These is a very good document (IG1233)on modelling guidelines written by Dave Milham and a few others. 

Regards,

Jag

Sri-Jagadish (Jag) Baddukonda
    Bell Canada

• 7.  RE: TMF634 - sku as attribute vs characteristic

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 09, 2023 15:17

Thanks Jag for weighing in.

Just wanted to make some clarifications:

• The catalog specifications, e.g. resource catalog TMF634, describe two approaches to modeling. One is to use completely dynamic modeling of the specification, with characteristics defining the entity specification. The other is to use strongly-typed subclasses, where you would use properties instead of characteristics.
    • You don't "need" a product spec for a resource spec. Product specifications (and product offerings) describe the way things are offered to the customer for sale. Not every product spec is implemented by a resource spec, and resource specs are not always a direct implementation of product spec.
    • My personal view is that ResourceCandidate and ServiceCandidate are unnecessary complications. However other people apparently find these classes of value, I invite them to explain why.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.