Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 07, 2022 09:29
    Dear TM Forum Community,

I am new to Telecom & TMF Open APIs and have the use-case to fetch list of available MSISDN / Mobile Numbers from our system

Based on my reading of the TMF Specs, TMF634 has ResourceSpecification (Physical) entity which could map to a physical SIM card (MSISDN) and Resource Category will be the category of that number - Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc

TMF639 has the Resource Entity which seems to map better to a physical msisdn (sim card) but the use-cases in API User Guide seems to indicate it's only for MSISDNs already allocated to a Party/Customer. We instead wish to display the available mobile numbers for reservation, but I noticed even the ResourceSpecification entity has RelatedParty reference

Could you please clarify if TMF634 suits better for fetching the available msisdn? Or TMF639/Other
    Any document recommendation for better familiarizing around the TMF specs to use for related use-case (fetch, reservation, cancellation, etc) will also be helpful 

Thanks You!

------------------------------
    Nikhil Rana
    Optiva Inc.

• 2.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 08, 2022 03:41
    Hi Nikhil

Some clarifications:
    • TMF634 is resource catalog, this defines the types of resources, so what does it mean to be an MSISDN, a fiber router, a network element, etc. No information in this API about resource instances
    • TMF639 is resource inventory, this holds all resource instances actually in use, either assigned to customers or for other internal network element use
    Neither of these match your use case.

Two other APIs present themselves:
    • TMF685 Resource Pool management - this seemingly may matche your use case, but it is somewhat difficult to use.
    • TMFxxx Resource Reservation - this is exactly what you are looking for, but the work on it has stalled for some considerable time, and I have no idea if and when it will make it past the finishing line.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 08, 2022 04:41
    Ok, thanks for clarifying Jonathan

I'll take this back to management & decide on our next steps..

My Best!
    Nikhil

Nikhil Rana
    Optiva Inc.

• 4.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 08, 2022 19:21
    Jonathan,
    What makes TMF685 difficult to use?

Ryan Ruckley
    Enterprise Architect
    SingTel Optus

• 5.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 12, 2022 03:16
    It's just my impression that the API model is somewhat obtuse, Ryan. Nothing definite. In fact the user guide is one of the better ones in the Open API stable, with several pages and diagrams describing use cases for reservations.
    People who have used this API are welcome to share their experiences.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 6.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 09, 2022 10:17
    Nilhil,

Unfortunately, there isn't any ready-to-use 'Find & Assign' TMF prescribed APIs for resource domain - hence for your use-case, if the need is just to fetch the numbers, I feel that you should customize the existing TMF639 to retrieve the inventory, and if your use-case involves find the bit fit resource to sell, better to enhance TMF640.​

Nitesh Modi
    Cognizant Technology Solutions

• 7.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 11, 2022 23:51
    Ok got it, thanks for the input Nitesh

We were aligning on a similar approach, so it's reassuring to see your recommendation as well

Nikhil Rana
    Optiva Inc.

• 8.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 12, 2022 03:18
    Edited by Jonathan Goldberg Dec 12, 2022 03:18
    Hi Nitesh
    I'm not sure that TMF640 has a role to play here, it is intended for activation and configuration of services on the network, and not for dealing with the  resource inventory.

Jonathan Goldberg

• 9.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 12, 2022 03:35

Hi,

we are using TMF639 to find available MSISDNs from the Resource Inventory (which are not yet allocated to a customer).

MSISDNs which are already assigned to a customer via one of his products can be retrieved via TMF637 Product Inventory (product.realizingResource).

Regards

Thomas

Thomas Dupré
    Deutsche Telekom AG

• 10.  RE: TMF634 vs TMF639 - Fetch list of available MSISDN from the system

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 23, 2022 12:53
    Hi, Thomas,

We are thinking, that Customer engagement layers should not bother with understanding what constitute a sellable resource, that matches the offer. Therefore we prefer TMF685, where they ask resources, that matches some criteria. Resource inventory system is responsible to translate this to resource statuses and attributes and provide proper suggestions. Even for the numbers, there may be business rules, you may want to secure regardless of channels and not expose.

I can understand your alternative, where resources may have a dedicated status, that means "sellable" and easy to query attributes, but it has limitations in our PoV.

Lauras Čeponis
    Telia Company