Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 06, 2022 13:28
    Hi Team,

I'm analyzing TMF639 Resource Inventory Management API but I don't lifecycleState attribute in tmf639 or how to manage it. Can any one please tell me how to implement lifecycle state in resource inventory

------------------------------
    Arko Chakravarty
    VCT International

• 2.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 07, 2022 04:03
    Hello Arko

We're following ITU guidance (M.3701 : Common management services - State management - Requirements and analysis - Protocol neutral (itu.int)
    You have in the API following attribute to manage distinct state/status for your resource:
    administrativeState
    resourceStatus
    operationalState
    usageState

Ludovic Robert
    Orange
    My answer are my own & don't represent necessarily my company or the TMF

• 3.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 08, 2022 05:02
    Hello @Ludovic Robert
    I have a question regarding this topic.
    Which of these attributes should be used to represent a "planned" state?​

Paul Stanek
    Suntech S.A.

• 4.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 08, 2022 08:22
    I believe the current Lifecycle states for TMF639 leave room for improvement.
    One single entity should have only one lifecyle state. The mapping to ITU M.3701 needs to be done in a different way using states of additional entities.

In the implementations I am involved with we are still using the old style lifecycle from TMF639_R17.( planning, installing, operating, retiring).
    This state also maps to the lifecycleState of ITU M.3701, although ITU left out the operating state (I wonder how that can even work). In my experience this lifecycle nicely fits for both logical and physical resources 8active and passive. 

The administrative state of ITU M.3701 can be reflected by a Reservation entity that is linked to the Resource. When a Reservation exists the Resource is locked otherwise it is unlocked.

The operational state of ITU M.3701 can be reflected by a ResourceFeature that can be enabled or disabled (e.g. Port admin up/down). This state typically only applies to active devices, Logical resources and even passive physical resources (e.g. cables) typically don't have these types of features.

The usage state of ITU M.3701 can be reflected by an RFS that uses the resource.

The ITU M.3701 alarmState is not covered by TMF639 it can however be covered easily by linking TMF642 Alarms via the alarmedObject relationship.

The ITU M.3701 availabilityState can potentially be covered TMF656 Serviceproblem via the root CauseResource or affectedResource relationships. The mapping of this state will require some work to make the mapping work.

The ITU M.3701 standbyStatus and powerConsumingState also seem to be suitable to be mapped to ResourceFeatures.

Further to this subject I also believe that further work is needed to some of the details of the installing and retiring states. In these states, I believe there is a need for linking ProjectActivities to the Resource via a projectResource relationship. This is described very well in SID Project ABE but hasn't resulted in any OpenAPI yet.

In the planned state there could be a link to forthcoming Shipment TMF711.

Maybe this is a suggestion for a use case guide around Resources and a next version of TMF639.

Koen Peeters
    OryxGateway

• 5.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 08, 2022 08:34
    Edited by Ludovic Robert Jul 08, 2022 08:35
    Thanks Koen... Very interesting and very good material for future discussion - I add @Kamal Maghsoudlou in the loop.

For planned version, this is tricky... for a physical resource yes shipment could be in the mix. I add 2 other ways:   if you use TMF652 ResourceOrder you can get future wished state of your resource in the resource order. If you use TMF702 Resource Activation and update are not directly taken into account then you can check on the monitor resource the future wished state.     

Hope it helps,

Ludovic

Ludovic Robert
    Orange
    My answer are my own & don't represent necessarily my company or the TMF

• 6.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 08, 2022 09:39
    Edited by Paul Stanek Jul 08, 2022 12:41
    Thanks for the answers,
    @Koen Peeters, if I understand correctly, you are currently implementing TMF639 version 4 and extending the resource entity with the lifecycle attribute?
    I thought that such extension contradicts the TMF extension pattern. Perhaps a more appropriate way is to add the lifecycle attribute at the physical resource level. The physical resource is not in the specification, so theoretically it could be extended this way.

Paul Stanek
    Suntech S.A.

• 7.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted 12 days ago
    Edited by Marlon Almazan 12 days ago

Hi @Koen Peeters, @Paul Stanek,

We are looking for implementing lifecycleState for resources using TMF639 (version 4) and have similar question, whether we should add our own attribute for lifecycleState, does TMF allow extending resource entity.

Jaswinder Kaur
    Ciena Corporation

• 8.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted 11 days ago

Hi Jaswinder

As a general point, the Design Guidelines document TMF630 gives directions on how to extend the TMF Open API entity model.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 9.  RE: TMF639 Resource Inventory - Add Lifecycle states

TM Forum Member
    Posted 10 days ago

From my view , In terms of TMF639 resource inventory exposure perspective the existing lifecycle state parameters like resourceStatus , operationalState and usageState is sufficient. Following few sample values that are usually being used/mapped against operationalState, resourceStatus. Organization specific we can define required values at inventory level and map it accordingly.

However there is additional usageState just to give additional info whether its in idle, active or inactive state even if resource is in operational and installed status.

With combination of all these values lifecycleState can be maintained at consumer end or at application level for necessary use at any dashboard, analytics.

resourceStatus

Installed

Unavailable

Deleted

Planned

InitialPlanning

Reserved

Decommissioning

Wired

Commissioning

InService

Ceased