Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF642 - Alarm Management API (Integration with ServiceNow)

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 03, 2022 08:25
    Hi All,

Use Case: I am working on an integration between Network monitoring tool (Blue Planet UAA) and ServiceNow. I am from ServiceNow side. We want to subscribe to Alarm notifications so that Alarms from BP UAA can come into ServiceNow. Please see my questions below-

1. Register Listener:

How External system like ServiceNow can register their endpoint with BP UAA using TMF 642 Register API exposed by UAA, So that ServiceNow can receive Create, Clear, Change etc. alarm notifications from BP UAA.

a. Is there a standard format to register endpoint or to subscribe alarm notifications like Create, Clear, Change etc. with any network monitoring tool. Please let me know the format

b. In our case, BP UAA has told us a particular format to register ServiceNow endpoint in BPUAA.  Format is mentioned below.  As per that we have to do a POST call to the endpoint shared to us by BP UAA and in the POST call request body we have to mention ServiceNow API endpoint that we want to register.

TMF Register API exposed in UAA:  http://<HostIP>/tmf-api/tmf642/api/hub

Sample Request body : 
    {"callback": "http://<ServiceNow API Endpoint>"","query":{"eventTypes":
    ["AlarmCreateNotification","AlarmAckStatedNotification","AlarmClearedNotification", "AlarmChangeNotification"]}}

As per this format, we can register only 1 endpoint of ServiceNow and in the request body we have to specify the event types that is the alarm notifications that we want to receive. If we try to register the 2nd end point then we get the below message as highlighted in below screenshot.

I wanted to know is this a standard that we can register only 1 end point. Because in my case in ServiceNow we have 3 different end points each for Create, Clear and Patch. So, I want to register 3 end points but BP UAA is saying we can only register 1 end point. So, please let me know is this the standard set by TM Forum to set only 1 end point and subscribe to multiple notifications inside one end point. 

c. We have followed the process as mentioned above but still when alarms are coming from BP UAA to ServiceNow then we are getting error in log table. 

Error: Requested URI does not represent any resource: /sn_ind_tmf642/alarm_mgmt/alarm/client/listener: no thrown error

So, can anyone please let me know how to fix this. What we are doing wrong here. As per my understanding when alarms are coming from BP UAA to ServiceNow then it should authenticate into ServiceNow but BP UAA is saying we do not need anything to authenticate into ServiceNow. My assumption is the error is coming because no authentication mechanism is set up. Please let me know if someone knows about this.

Also, ServiceNow has built their API considering TMF642 Alarm Management API REST Specification Release 20, April 2020. However, BP UAA is using 17.0.1 version. So, is this can be a reason of such an error?

Regards,
    Gaurav

------------------------------
    Gaurav Bhatia
    Capgemini

• 2.  RE: TMF642 - Alarm Management API (Integration with ServiceNow)

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 05, 2022 10:04
    Hi Gaurav,

Added my views .
    TMF688 and TMF_630 are the ones to help you with your queries. 

a. Is there a standard format to register endpoint or to subscribe alarm notifications like Create, Clear, Change etc. with any network monitoring tool. Please let me know the format

TMF688_Event_Management details the end point registration for a listener.  Event management API defines how events in general are published and distributed. Event generated by  other TMF APis would be using this a channel .

b- There is no hard rules around this and is up to the HUB. See the extract from TMF_630_REST_API .
    ""Subsequent POST calls may be rejected by the service if it does not support multiple listeners. In this
    case DELETE /api/hub/{id} must be called before the endpoint can be created again.""

c.Requested URI does not represent any resource: /sn_ind_tmf642/alarm_mgmt/alarm/client/listener: no thrown error

I am not an expert here. But the error seems to be due to wrong url . 

Coming to authentication, any api should be authenticated . The type of authentication could be attributed to the data you carry. Oauth should be a good option if its supported the systems being used.  Refer 1.10 of TMF_630_API Part 4.

Muneer basheer
    Vodafone Group