Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF663: How to return an item

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 02, 2022 12:04
    Edited by David Preindl Nov 04, 2022 00:01
    Hi!

I'm currently thinking how the TMF663 shopping cart API can be used to create a cart within our platform. - During this process, I'm struggling (also) with the way how a return of an item should be handled.
    Use case: A customer has bought an item some time ago - now gets back and wants to return the item. For the simple case where we only want to capture the return itself - ignoring any reference to the original transaction - what's the best / correct way to define it in the API? - We are currently discussing the following ideas:

Option 1:
    Define the cartItem.quantity=-1 (so negative quantity indicating a return)

Option 2: Based on some discussions also in this community regarding the action (but still not quite sure about it)
    Define cartItem.action=DELETE (or is there a better action).

Thanks for your ideas/better options and help!

Kind regards,
    David

------------------------------
    David Preindl

• 2.  RE: TMF663: How to return an item

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 06, 2022 02:52
    Hi David
    There's a lot of business logic going on for physical item return. It might include:
    • Determining the latest allowed return date for "buyer remorse" for one-off purchase
    • Issuing a return material authorization (RMA) for the item to be returned
    • Handling the return shipment
    • Evaluating the condition of a returned item to see if any damage penalty is applicable
    So even before we get to the API you have a lot to think about.

Negative quantity is not a good idea. So yes, you need an action such as remove/delete/return as appropriate. The actions for a product order item (or cart item) are not specified as part of the API, they come from the catalog. And we have just introduced AllowedActions in the Product Catalog API (TMF620) - see the early access Open API table. So you would define an action for this material return.

Hope it helps

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.