TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  Trace ID, Request ID

TM Forum Member
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 09:15
    Hi;
    Our system keeps logs in Kibana. I have a problem while tracking backend logs. For example after order success we call notification, report etc. services. That is one life cycle  in banckend. There are more life  cycles like this in the system and we need to track the movement on the system for solving problems.

How can I add some kind of traceID in request objects. Is it a  characteristic?

Thanks.

#General

------------------------------
    Ali Rıza Arslan
    TO BE VERIFIED

• 2.  RE: Trace ID, Request ID

Posted Sep 13, 2022 14:35
    I guess it depends if all you calls downstream are REST style calls over http. If so you can just use a tracking header property?

• 3.  RE: Trace ID, Request ID

TM Forum Member
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 15:39
    Earlier our architect group published some information like "don't use header for passing data ". And now I realise that they mean something important, not the requestId etc.

Thanks for the fast response.

• 4.  RE: Trace ID, Request ID

TM Forum Member
    Posted Sep 14, 2022 04:11
    Interesting discussion 
    Not sure we have direct answer for this. However when we developed the precursor to ODA Component and OPEN API in something called Digital Platform reference Architecture 

IG1157 Digital Platform Reference Architecture Concepts and Principles v8.0.0

nIput From BT stated an need to have a transaction id that persisted as an operation flow proceeded for say fulfillment.
    I'm not sure this got captured in either the APIs or our ODA component specifications.
    My tactical suggestion wuld be to polymorphically extend the API with a transaction Id 

I wonder if this should be raised as a JIRA change request on the OPEN APIs.  However, don't think this will be a quick fix.  The slight challenge is one need and need to end view not a per API view. and it gets complicated when say for example a product order gets broken down into individual service and resource. What would be needed is few samples of process flow across component/ APIs to show what gets transferred and how the transaction Id are related /propagated
    In the ODA Ecosystems Team we are starting to realize that there are quite a few instrumentation requirements on the flows and API operations to support partnering business models. If you have any example flows and Transaction ID that you can share, we could discuss on the ODA Ecosystems team after our Digital Transformation World even next week. This might help us formulated the requirements to go in the JIRA request(s).

Dave Milham
    TM Forum, Chief Architect

• 5.  RE: Trace ID, Request ID

TM Forum Member
    Posted Sep 16, 2022 13:10

Hi Dave;

For now I can share a couple of cases I challenged before. 

Last weeks, for the glory of the reusability, we started to share already transformed service with other product team which they physically positioned out of our OCP ecosystem.
    So, they started to consume our resources, RAM, CPU etc. From the backend perspective, they joined to one of our big flow in the middle. At the end of the flow, there is one data transformation remote service and that remote service owners need to know which channel pull or push the data and I want to know who is the consumer of our resources service by service. (I wonder If we can see that on the  OCP dashboard.) Besides, I want to parse logs in our logging system according to some kind of channel ID.

The other topic is trace ID. Recently, I had clarified that the details of wishes "don't share data in the header" is actually both archive sizing and security issue. From the security perspective, we are at the safe zone if we use it as a header property, however data teams challenged with the government regulative rule of "you must archive all request data for six months". The data teams want to minimize request logs which included header. So, they don't want their logs to be crowded.

If we can use polymorphism in request models without broke any TMF rules I would like to use it.

And maybe there are other cases I don't know yet, I will ask my team.

Thanks 

Ali Rıza Arslan
    TO BE VERIFIED

• 6.  RE: Trace ID, Request ID

TM Forum Member
    Posted Sep 22, 2022 08:38
    Hi Dave;

The other thing I can say is FlowID.
    Some flows are more important than others. For the efficient maintenance, we need to mark them so if it is important then we can create alarm and decide priority level.
    For example notification api. Some flows are related order, some of them just for marketing or unimportant information to send customer.

We are talking about this issues in our side. I would like to hear about your progress.

Thanks.

Ali Rıza Arslan
    Vodafone Group