Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 27, 2022 05:45
    Hello,

In relation to another discussion service validation and characteristic value validation rule in Service Catalog (TMF633) | Open APIs (tmforum.org), I have a need to specify validation rules for Characteristic Specifications of Process Flow Specifications (TMF701). The purpose is to specify rules that are more complex than the ones that exist in the API specifications, which are regex and range.

I was looking for the definition of the Characteristic ABE in the SID. The main text I found is Section 1.13. "Root Business Entities/Characteristic ABE" in "Information Framework Suite, GB922 Root", Release 18.0.1, October 2018, that is copied almost verbatim in "GB922 Common Domain Business Entities, Information Framework (SID) Suite", Release R22.0.0, June 2022 (Section 4.11. "Root Business Entities ABE", starting at Section 4.11.48. "Root Business Entities/Characteristic ABE Illustration".)

In the first text I find the following diagram:

and in the second a similar one:

In both cases the CharacteristicSpecification contains an attribute 'derivationFormula', which seems to be exactly what I am looking for. This attribute is not described at all within the text, except that later on in "GB922 Common Domain", in the context of the Metric ABE (Section 4.18), I find the following sentence: "When an expression is too complex to represent using the arguments, such as one that includes logic and using other entities) the derivationFormula attribute can contain a reference to logic (code) that performs the calculation."

My questions:
    1. Was this attribute left out of the various TMF API specifications on purpose? If so, why?
    2. If not, is there a chance to bring it into version 5 of the APIs, that are now being prepared?

Thank you and best regards,

------------------------------
    Opher Yaron
    Proximus SA

• 2.  RE: Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 27, 2022 09:42
    Hi Opher
    I have no idea about the history, but I don't think that we would want to add an opaque formula string to the Open API model when we now have the possibility of using Policy.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 27, 2022 11:29
    Thanks you, Jonathan. I understand.

Hope that policyRef will indeed appear in version 5 of the API.

Best regards,

Opher Yaron
    Proximus SA

• 4.  RE: Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 27, 2022 12:23
    I own TMF620, including the conversion to v5, I need to agree with @Pierre Gauthier the places that we want to add it, let's see after everyone is back from the winter break.​

Jonathan Goldberg
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 5.  RE: Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 27, 2022 13:20
    Hi Jonathan,

It would be great.

My main interest, though, is in TMF701. If I understand correctly @olivier arnaud took the ownership very recently from @Ludovic Robert​. I hope the same idea can make its way into version 5 of this API.​

Best regards,

Opher Yaron
    Proximus SA

• 6.  RE: Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Dec 28, 2022 14:57
    If we make changes to CharacteristicSpecification, they will eventually seep into all v5 APIs that use this entity, since it is a common schema for all relevant APIs. It's more a matter of timing and priorities.

Jonathan Goldberg

• 7.  RE: Validation rule for Characteristic Specification

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 11, 2023 10:17
    Hi Jonathan,

I come back to this topic we discussed 2 weeks ago, further to your suggestion "let's see after everyone is back from the winter break.​"

Have you had the chance to discuss internally where to introduce PolicyRef in the P/S/R/E catalog entities? Can I be of help in such discussions?

Best regards,

Opher Yaron
    Proximus SA