Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  When to use TMF663 Shopping Cart and when to use TMF622 Product Ordering?

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 16, 2023 09:39
    Edited by Ivan Volaric Jan 16, 2023 09:45
    I would like to understand the principles when which is used.
    For example, TMF663 - for long orders, orders that can be revised, orders that should follow catalogue rules etc. TMF622 - for quick orders, orders to change billing account, party, bulk orders etc.
    I would like to know some principles and guidelines for it to use.

------------------------------
    Ivan Volaric

• 2.  RE: When to use TMF663 Shopping Cart and when to use TMF622 Product Ordering?

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 16, 2023 11:41
    Edited by Matthieu Hattab Jan 16, 2023 11:41
    This is a question that can get many opinions from different persons.

The use cases for shopping carts or (sales) orders have not changed much in the past few decades. I still read the same use cases we had 20 years ago.
    • shopping cart for pre-sales activities
      -> it's what the (prospective) customer wants. Therefore it's volatile and represents, at best, a possible order.
    • product order for sales (and even post sales) activities.
      -> it's what the customer has purchased. It's persistent.
    From a TMF documentation angle:
    1. IG1228 has sequence diagrams that use open APIs, including shopping cart and product order.
    2. each of the Open API end-user documentation also provide with use cases.
    3. the SID and ETOM also recently included business entities for shopping carts (and quote, another entity you may want to consider in your questions), so I expect lots of information, best practices, examples, processes... in both assets.
    4. If you search the main website you could find other assets on this topic.

Kind regards,

Matthieu Hattab
    Lyse Platform

• 3.  RE: When to use TMF663 Shopping Cart and when to use TMF622 Product Ordering?

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jan 17, 2023 02:27
    Thanks Matthieu for your clear response.
    I could add some additional points:
    • Shopping basket might be more relevant for a self-service experience, especially in the residential mass-market. Business/corporate (B2B) would be more likely to start directly with an order, or via a sales quote process
    • Shopping basket might be used primarily for new purchases rather than modify/disconnect requests, although there is nothing in the API definition that restricts use of cart also for modification
    Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.