TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  API to perform cancel payment

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 14, 2023 06:11

Hi Team,

Can you please suggest which API is right match to perform cancel payment?  Have analyzed TMF676- Payment Management API, Here I am getting payment and refund operation. So should we use refund operation to perform cancel payment or any other? Please suggest.

#General

------------------------------
    Chetan Patel
    Tech Mahindra Limited

• 2.  RE: API to perform cancel payment

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted Aug 14, 2023 10:03
    This post was removed

• 3.  RE: API to perform cancel payment

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 15, 2023 07:14

Hi Chetan

This is a great question, and it needs to be analyzed thoroughly. Perhaps you could explain what exactly you mean by canceling a payment. We can posit that a payment goes through a number of conceptual life-cycle phases. So for example a credit card payment would have (blue-sky flow, and I may have missed something):

• Getting the tokenized credit card (either by retrieving from an existing pay means or by inputting a new pay means and getting a token from the tokenizer or payment gateway
    • Authorizing the payment (via payment gateway to card provider)
    • Capturing the payment (via payment gateway to card provider)
    • Crediting the payment to an appropriate account balance
    • Issuing a payment receipt
    • Allocating the payment to open charges (applied customer billing rates)
    • Journaling the revenue to general ledger

So, until when in this process is it possible to cancel the payment? It might depend on the capabilities of the payment gateway.

And what would be the business for triggering a payment cancelation?

From TMF Open API perspective, canceling a payment would be like canceling an order - we would have a dedicated task resource CancelPayment, which would embed reference to the payment being canceled and would have status such as in progress, succeeded, failed. The implementation of the POST operation for CancelPayment would work against the participating systems (primarily the payment gateway I imagine).

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 4.  RE: API to perform cancel payment

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 16, 2023 01:01

Hi Chetan/Jonathan, 

Just another thought on cancellation of payment in registered customer scenario. Cancellation of payment some time fall under credit note i.e. give additional credit on account which may convert into refund. So in finance system , there is rare chance of having  cancellation concept after payment but refund and can be linked with BillingAccount under TMF 666.

Amit Khare
    Tech Mahindra Limited