Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  How to update service relationship through TMF641 API

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 16, 2023 14:12

Hi,

We are implementing TMF641 API, have a question about how to capture API client intent to add/delete ServiceRef, ServiceRelationship and characteristicRelationship.

In following example, primary phone service P1 has 2 relationship instances to secondary phone S1 and S2.

Now API client needs to delete one of the service relationship instance (to S1) and add a new one (to S3).

One solution is to ask

•  client sending in all current relationships (with S2 and S3)
    •  order manager doing snapshot comparing to identify the changes

But that doesn't work if client doesn't have access to up-to-date inventory.

Following is the sudo order data, in case you need it for discussion.

Attribute in red color is not part of existing TMF ServiceRelationship attribute. 

Is there better way to capture client intent other than introducing new attribute (for example action) on top of ServiceRelationship?

Order:

item:

action:update

service: 

id: P1

serviceRelationship:

- relationshipType:   secondaryPhone

action: delete                 <-intent

service:

id: S1

- relationshipType:   secondaryPhone

action: add                      <-inent

service:

id: S3

Looking forward to your inputs.    

------------------------------
    David Xie
    Hansen Technologies

• 2.  RE: How to update service relationship through TMF641 API

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 23, 2023 09:27

Hi David

It's not clear to me what the use case is. It's unlikely (in my opinion) that an external consumer would ever be allowed to update service inventory directly. Such an update would always be done using a service order, which would validate the requested change, and orchestrate the actual change in the network with the change in the inventory.

If it's the orchestrator itself, updating the inventory as part of service order, why would it not have access to the up-to-date inventory.

Note that in v5 APIs there's a new Intent API planned that might be of relevance when constructing service orders.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: How to update service relationship through TMF641 API

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 26, 2023 08:09

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your input.

My question is for Service Order API client (such as BSS Adapter), not for orchestrator itself.

Exactly as your saying, external consumer can read service inventory, and can't update inventory directly. All updates go through service order.

I am looking for suggestion about how to capture API client change intent, including:

• add or delete service relationship on a many-to-many association between services
    • add or delete supporting service/source under a existing service

Since we are using asynchronous architecture,  The eventual consistent approach makes "new service snapshot for update" impossible.

Thank you again for mentioning V5 API. Regarding the V5 intent API, is there going on discussion meeting or thread? I would like to join and listen if it is possible.

Regards,

David Xie

David Xie
    Hansen Technologies

• 4.  RE: How to update service relationship through TMF641 API

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 14, 2023 04:55

The Intent API TMF921 was actually published as v4, not yet as v5, it's available in the production API table here: https://www.tmforum.org/oda/open-apis/table

To get involved in future discussions you'd need to join the Open API collaborative project and join up with whoever is leading this API.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.