Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 15, 2024 05:55

Hi All,

Have been trying to look for the OpenAPI against ITIL SD /SR module, which one fits best from below details for Service Requests/Service Desk workflow.

1) TMF641 Service Ordering Management API User Guide v4.1.0

TM Forum remove preview
    TMF641 Service Ordering Management API User Guide v4.1.0
    This document is the specification of the REST API for Service Order Management. It includes the model definition as well as all available operations.
    View this on TM Forum >

2) IG1190L_AIOps_Service_Desk_Management_v1.0.0

------------------------------
    Nirav Patel
    Jio Platforms Limited

• 2.  RE: Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 15, 2024 07:14

Hi Nirav

It's possible that there has been some confusion here. The word Service is (rather unfortunately) heavily overloaded in our industry.

• In the group of TMF Open API that are labeled Service (service order, service inventory, service activation, service catalog, and more), the meaning is a service implemented in the service provider network that typically implements a product that was sold to a customer.
    • In ITIL, and in the AIOps implementation guide you quoted, I believe the meaning is to do with support requests and help desk. The corresponding Open API is Trouble Ticket management TMF621.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 16, 2024 02:51

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your quick response here.

We still need more clarity on API specifications given in TMForum where TMF621 section is talking about only Trouble Ticket and Fault Management API's which refers to Incident Management Workflow in ITSM/ITIL standard process framework.

Here, if we are talking about Service Desk / Service Request / Interaction Module as per the ITSM/ITIL standards then both the workflow and their functionalities and purpose if implementing the specific modules are always different where Incident and fault management belongs to Enterprise/Customer/Network level outages and major issues and it should be landed into Incident Management Workflow as per ITSM/ITIL framework whereas Service Desk Management belongs to Service or Support Requests Module in which Users raise a variety of IT requests every day. It might be a request for new software, the replacement of old hardware, access to applications, or a change in the component of an asset.

Kindly help to bifurcate in terms of Incident Management and Service Desk/Service Request Management Modules for OpenAPI's availability on TMForum.

As we can straightaway see #621 is for Trouble Ticket (Incident Module) but still unable to find the correct API specifications for Service Desk Module in ITSM/ITIL framework.

Hope you understand the exact ask here !! Do you see a possibility or opportunity of introducing a new API here for SD/SR Module based on ITSM/ITIL platform.

Kindly suggest. Thanks !!

Nirav Patel

Jio Platform Ltd.

Nirav Patel
    Jio Platforms Limited

• 4.  RE: Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 17, 2024 13:47

Hi Nirav

TM Forum is a member-driven organization. You would be welcome to join the Open API project and make a contribution to such an API, if you can persuade the Open API team leads that there is a justification for this API.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 5.  RE: Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 19, 2024 05:14

Thanks John . Makes sense that we identify the Service Request as a separate service.

BR

Maneesha Thawrani

Ent Assurance - Reliance Jio

Maneesha Thawrani
    Jio Platforms Limited

• 6.  RE: Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 20, 2024 08:01

Hello Nirav, I understand that TMForum only has one API for ticket management and it is TMF621. A colleague tells me (but you must validate this) that TMForum divides the handling of claims into Case Management for management of commercial claims and Trouble Ticket for management of technical tickets or breakdowns. That is why many companies have two types of tools for this management. I know a company that has two tools for handling claims: TOMS for commercial complaints and ServiceDesk Plus for technical tickets or breakdowns. But this duality of tools arose precisely because of what I told you at the beginning. Perhaps there is an API for SERVICE DESK but it is not necessarily called that and is related to something related to Case Management. Currently I reviewed API 621 and it barely has 50 or so fields, we are using it for a 360 View of clients and we have that dilemma of what information we should put there, whether the trouble ticket or the casemanagement or both. I don't know if this information can help you but I'll share it with you anyway.

-----------------------
    María Eugenia Ramos
    Telefonica
    The opinions and statements expressed by me on this forum are strictly personal and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.
    -----------------------

Maria Ramos
    TELEFONICA

• 7.  RE: Open API - For Service desk / Service Request module in ITIL framework

TM Forum Member
    Posted Feb 20, 2024 10:25

Thanks Maria for your input

There is a different TMF Open API - Service Problem TMF656, which is intended, as far as I understand, to deal specifically with problems detected on the network.

Whereas TMF621 Trouble Ticket is intended for dealing with any type of issue, and as such includes a specification entity that allows problem types to be defined dynamically. This could include billing issues, help needed by customer in operating her product, network outages, and more. At least to my understanding, the TMF621 trouble ticket is equivalent more-or-less to Case.

Hope it helps

Jonathan Goldberg