TM Forum Community

View Only
  • 1.  Resource Modelling_as per TMF

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 16, 2023 12:35

Hi All, Security Service to prevent DDoS attack has key data entities like Managed Object ID which has one to many relationship with IP Address range which signify Customer Equipment(Like DNS server, Mail server etc) which needs to be protected against DDoS attack. As these are customer owned and provided network entities, should this information be modelled in OSS Resource inventory. Do they represent RFS or CFS?  

#General

------------------------------
    Akhilesh Kaul
    Vodafone UK Ltd

• 2.  RE: Resource Modelling_as per TMF

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 17, 2023 02:34

A Managed Object (MO) is an entity which is being managed and the MO ID will identify it in a (resource) inventory. Is the customer provided equipment (CPE) being managed, or just the security service?  I suspect the IP addresses related to the CPE are being managed within the security service in which case it wouldn't be necessary to inventory the CPE, just label the addresses.  On the other hand if it's operator provided equipment then you would inventory and manage it.  In either case the customer equipment would be physical (PNF) or logical (VNF) resource entities in a resource inventory (TMF639) and should have resource specifications in a resource catalog (TMF634). The customer equipment would never be RFC/CFS which are service domain entities, however a security service being included in a product offering definitely is a service entity (CFS) which should be in a service inventory (TMF638) and should have a service specification in a service catalog (TMF633).  If you have an RFS too it would represent the security service in a specific technology domain and not the customer equipment itself.

Vance Shipley
    SigScale

• 3.  RE: Resource Modelling_as per TMF

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 30, 2023 13:51

Thanks for responding. However, not clear with last statement "If you have an RFS too it would represent the security service in a specific technology domain and not the customer equipment itself." When you say RFS as security service in specific tech domain, what do you imply, could you please provide some examples.

Akhilesh Kaul
    Vodafone UK Ltd

• 4.  RE: Resource Modelling_as per TMF

TM Forum Member
    Posted Aug 30, 2023 23:49

It isn't a requirement to break every Service into a pair of CFS and RFS, that is done in order to maintain one consistent CFS when there may be multiple RFS options. An RFS represents a Service on a specific technology stack,  The canonical example from GB922 is a voice calling CFS with an RFS for circuit switched (CS) and another RFS for VoIP (IMS).  Migrating from CS to IMS would require only changing the RFS, not the CFS.

In your use case you would have a Service used in a Product Offering customers may subscribe to which provides security protection for their CPE. The subscriber would identify the endpoints (i.e. mail server) to apply the security service to, so that is Service configuration.

My point had been that it is not necessarily a requirement for the endpoint devices (servers) to be managed (i.e, TMF639 Resource Inventory), you may offer a managed Service which is applied to devices in another management domain. If you have a Product Offering providing assurance (i.e. fault, performance) for the CPE then you would be managing those devices and they should be represented as Resource entities.

Vance Shipley
    SigScale