Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF 620 - ProductOffering ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse

Posted Jul 25, 2023 12:43

Hi all,

As per Product Catalog Management API User Guide we have:
    "A list of product specification characteristic value uses (ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse [*]). A use of the ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValue by a ProductOffering to which additional properties (attributes) apply or override the properties of similar properties contained in ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValue. It should be noted that characteristics which their value(s) addressed by this object must exist in corresponding product specification. The available characteristic values for a ProductSpecificationCharacteristic in a Product specification can be modified at the ProductOffering level. For example, a characteristic 'Color' might have values White, Blue, Green, and Red. But, the list of values can be restricted to e.g. White and Blue in an associated product offering. It should be noted that the list of values in 'ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse' is a strict subset of the list of values as defined in the corresponding product specification characteristics."

This means that ALL entries at ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse SHOULD exist in ProductSpecification? What should be the behaviour if we send (POST) one that is not in ProductSpecification? If is a bundle and does not have ProductSpecification the product offering cannot have ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse?

Thank you

------------------------------
    Rui Ferreira
    Celfocus

• 2.  RE: TMF 620 - ProductOffering ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 26, 2023 06:09
    Edited by Matthieu Hattab Nov 14, 2023 08:18

This means that ALL entries at ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse SHOULD exist in ProductSpecification?

Yes as you quoted from the API documentation:

It should be noted that the list of values in 'ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse' is a strict subset of the list of values as defined in the corresponding product specification characteristics.

"strict subset" is your clue. So it's not "should" but "must" as in "considered compulsory/necessary."
    In our product catalogue, the PSCVU entity has mandatory relationships to ProductOffering, ProductSpecification and ProductSpecificationCharacteristic.
    (we have a second PSCVU entity dedicated to ProductOfferingPrice when we need to connect a specific price to a specific char value)

PS: the in the API doc -> product offering resource model, the relationship between PSCVU and ProductSpecificationRef is 0...1.
    I think it should be 1...1. I don't know how a PSCVU could exist without a relation to PS.

If is a bundle and does not have ProductSpecification the product offering cannot have ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse?

that's correct because a bundle product offering absolutely cannot have a product specification, it cannot have PSCVU since PSCVU is a strict subset....

Kind regards,

Matthieu Hattab
    Lyse Platform

• 3.  RE: TMF 620 - ProductOffering ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse

Posted Jul 26, 2023 06:35

Thanks for your answer Matthieu,

So, in case we send  PSCVU that aren't part of ProductSpecification or send PSCVU for a Bundle ProdctOffering (isBundle=true) what should be the behaviour (my understanding is to return a 400 Bad request)?

Thank you

Rui Ferreira
    Celfocus

• 4.  RE: TMF 620 - ProductOffering ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 26, 2023 06:51

Have you checked the Conformance profile (RAND) for TMF620 which explains what mandatory/optional etc?
    the fact that the relationship is 0...1 (see above) seems to tolerate the absence of a PS ref for a product offering (bundle or not). But I'm not convinced this is the desired behaviour.
    The API owner regularly read this community, so he will be able to clarify this.

Kind regards,

Matthieu Hattab
    Lyse Platform

• 5.  RE: TMF 620 - ProductOffering ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse

Posted Jul 26, 2023 06:50

The Conformance profile does not specify (or I don't found it) what should be the behaviour. I will wait if the API owner can clarify. Thank you

Rui Ferreira
    Celfocus

• 6.  RE: TMF 620 - ProductOffering ProductSpecificationCharacteristicValueUse

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 14, 2023 06:13

I have a feeling that Matthieu is right, and that the reference from PSCVU to PS should be mandatory. Because you need to know where the underlying list of values is, and CharacteristicSpec is not an addressable entity in its own right.

I can see that in v5 I didn't enforce that, and since the API has been published I don't think I can change that without a compatibility break. 

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.