Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF637 - Change subscription - do I need new ProductInvenory product instance?

Posted Jul 26, 2023 09:47

Hello TMF forum,

We are considering a classic change speed scenario where customer submits new ProductOrder with request to modify ProductOffering and ProductSpecification for exising subscription to a new speed. The customer subscription is represented by existing product record in ProductInventory.

Our business product catalog contains seperate records for:

- ProductOffering Gold - refering to ProductSpecification for Speed A

- ProductOffering Silver - refering to ProductSpecification for Speed B

My question is wheather I should allow to change ProductOffering from Silver to Gold on exsting Product records from ProductInventory?

Or rather such change should require:

• termination of existing Product record in ProductInventory,
    • creation of new Prodcut record in ProductInventory

?

Best regards,

Bartosz Kluzek

------------------------------
    Bartosz Kluzek
    TO BE VERIFIED

• 2.  RE: TMF637 - Change subscription - do I need new ProductInvenory product instance?

TM Forum Member
    Posted Jul 27, 2023 04:16

there are many factors in play.
    the process you suggest, "termination" then "creation", should be avoided, as you are cutting the customer internet access for a few minutes or so.

normally all broadband offers should use the same product specification (PS), so all you need to do is to modify the product inventory and change the speed characteristic value from A to B. 
    the API documentation has JSON example(s) of modification of the product inventory that you can study.

search for "orderItemAction": "change"

Kind regards,

Matthieu Hattab
    Lyse Platform

• 3.  RE: TMF637 - Change subscription - do I need new ProductInvenory product instance?

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 14, 2023 06:08

Definitely agree with Matthieu that you would not terminate and create.

Bear in mind that it's not just a question of updating product in inventory. The change needs to actually happen (provisioned) in the network, and communicated to other downstream systems (e.g. billing). So you'll need a product order that orchestrates the change, and presumably a service order to ensure the change happens in the network. Updating the product inventory would be done by the product order, not directly by a consumer application.

Apologies for the vast delay, hope this is still helpful.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.