Open APIs

View Only
  • 1.  TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 22, 2022 10:48
    There are couple of scenarios when we talk about product status being terminated.
    1. Scheduled termination - Eventually will be terminated
    2. Terminated but within the grace period still where customer can request reactivation of subscription.

According to the documentation of TMF637, the product status only has a possibility of transitions between active -> terminated, active -> pending-terminate -> terminated. However, there is no possibility of transition of status from pending-terminate -> active if customer requests for reactivation.

Is this expected or documentation error or is the suggestion to actually use status 'suspended' in case there's a need to reactivate subscription?

Please suggest.

I would be happy to provide examples of requirements to further explain why this is needed. Thanks.

------------------------------
    Sreenivasa Sarma Telakapalli Sree Harsha
    Qvantel Oy

• 2.  RE: TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 23, 2022 01:52
    Hi Sreenivasa

My understanding is different - according to the current diagram a product termination, once requested and approved, is not reversible. It's just that there might be two different scenarios:
    • The termination can be done immediately (e.g. by direct command to the network to disconnect the underlying services/resources)
    • The termination takes time (manual intervention, etc.).
    Your scenario is called re-establish, such that a terminated product can be restored to its (more-or-less) original state, active with the original resources (e.g. MSISDN, voice mail contents, etc.). As you state, there is typically a grace period (e.g. 90 days), during which the product can be re-established. The underlying resources would typically be in a state Aging until expiry of the grace period. This whole scenario is not reflected at all in TMF637, nor in TMF639 as far as I can tell.

Would be a good topic for a CR.

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 3.  RE: TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 23, 2022 03:47
    Hello Jonathan,

Appreciate the response. What would be the CR process in this case? Any idea?

Qvantel Oy

• 4.  RE: TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 24, 2022 02:50
    Hi Sreenivasa,

One way of solving you problem is the use of versions.
    A new version of the product can be created when when you want to reestablish a terminated product.
    The new version has its own status field but further reuses or copies most of the old characteristics & relationships.
    Since the version has its own status field it has its own lifecycle and can be set to active again.

The versioning concept is only weakly defined by the OpenAPI.
    For a full concept, we need to define what makes a version different from just another product.
    One of the obvious business rules is that only one version can be in active or suspended status at the same moment in time.

Probably the lifecycles of two versions have more business rules that interlink them. Some of these business rules could be implementation choices while other should be part of a versioning standard. If you feel that after implementing this you have become an expert on product versions, you should consider contributing the business rules.

Regards.

Koen Peeters
    OryxGateway

• 5.  RE: TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 24, 2022 03:14
    Hello Koen,

Yes, this is something still under thought process for implementation as well. The challenges this actually brings are more related towards charging, billing, provisioning systems as every operator has their own requirements of re-activating the subscription as is along with the add-ons and any previous services and so on. But, yes your suggestion is very much valid and I will keep the forum updated as well on what's the final approach adapted and also contribute wherever necessary upon finding right approach.

Thank you for the response.

Regards.

Qvantel Oy

• 6.  RE: TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 24, 2022 02:55
    If you are a member of the Open API collaborative project, you can directly submit a JIRA for the improvement.
    If not, you'll have to ask someone to do it for you :)

Jonathan Goldberg
    Amdocs Management Limited
    Any opinions and statements made by me on this forum are purely personal, and do not necessarily reflect the position of the TM Forum or my employer.

• 7.  RE: TMF637: Status transition from 'pending-terminate' to 'active' is not available

TM Forum Member
    Posted Nov 24, 2022 03:10
    Thank you Jonathan. Appreciate the response.

Qvantel Oy